Happy New Year (I guess)

2013 has begun, and we are all still here.  Come on, who out there thought the world would end in December?  Raise your hands, you know you're out there and secretly spent the day going through moments of pure panic while you waited for that blast, or rush of silence to signal the end.  How did you feel when it didn't happen?

Well, the world is still spinning, and according to the show, "How the Universe Works", will be for a few more million or billion years.  That said, its time to move on and begin the new year, which is getting harder to do each year.  I mean, its fun to have a new year to look forward to.  I always think about how each of my kids will be a year older and how fast they are growing up.  Then I think about how I will be a year older and how fast I am "GROWING".  Seriously.

I have posted about this to no end, I know, I know.  I used to be in excellent shape before kids, I tried losing the baby weight, blahblahblahblah.  Here in the south, it seems I am surrounded by a plethora of blond bombshell housewives with 3, 4, 6 kids that are toothpicks, and I really have no idea how they do it short of starving themselves thin.  I have four kids, and have been over 200 lbs for 3 years.  It sucks nuts.

I could blame a few things, the number one thing being my inability to make working out and eating right a priority in my daily routine.  Then there are the meds that keep me from going off the deep end.  Those tend to cause weight gain, but one actually promotes weight loss, so maybe between the two of them, I am breaking even.  I am old(er).  I keep hearing after 35, losing weight is nearly impossible, so what the damn point, right?

Recently, I tried to train for a half marathon.  I was doing well, then got sick and just bagged it all together.  Truth is, I hate to run and have done a half before, so I convinced myself there was really no reason to continue doing something I really hated.  With the end of my training, went the end of going to the gym or working out all together.  I was exhausted from training, and needed a "break".  That break lasted from August until now, today, where it will continue.  Sure, I work around the house and keep up with four kids, that's hard stuff, but its not a zumba class, or a short walk on a treadmill.  I've decided to think about training for a triathlon.  Those are more fun for this ADD mama.  We'll see if I stick with it.

But, alas, life is what it is.  I will see friends and family this year at the same weight I was a year ago, even though a year ago I vowed to change before the next meeting.  I wonder what makes folks like me continue to just give up and not really follow through.  There are plenty of things I do follow through with at home, maybe those are more important.  Who knows.  One thing is for sure, I wouldn't mind having this ass again (orange shorts)!

No comments:

Post a Comment